Meta-Integral has just sent out the call for papers for the upcoming 2015 Integral Theory Conference.  The theme for the conference is Integral Impacts: Using Integrative Metatheories to Catalyze Effective Change.

See here for details.

Views: 2929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would love it if you could attend, but I certainly understand the financial restrictions.  The $825 fee does include housing and all meals for the event, so that reduces the expenses that you are anticipating, but there is still the flight fee getting out there. If the inclusion of the meal and lodging costs in the registration fee makes any difference in your thinking, I'd also be happy to start a little informal campaign to help you raise funds to come...say, for the airfare or something.

I am not certain the workshop will be filmed, but I imagine it will be -- and I could definitely share it with you if it is.

Our workshop will be a half-day one.

I appreciate the offer. Let me think about it some more.

Also keep in mind that (unless you arrive the morning of the 16th for the pre-conference workshops) there is an extra fee of $110 for a night's lodging on the 15th. 

Balder, I'm still not sure what "Participatory" means, as distinct from Integral. Do you have an elevator speech on that? I take it you'll be representing Participatory, and Lisa Celantano is representing Integral?

Hi, David, by 'participatory,' we are referring primarily to the approach that has been articulated by key teachers at the California Institute for Integral Studies -- Richard Tarnas, Jorge Ferrer, Jacob Sherman, and Glenn Hartelius, among others.  This is one of the definitive books on this movement:  The Participatory Turn.  Glenn will be on the panel and will be the primary person representing the Participatory approach.  He is pretty strongly critical of aspects of Integral Theory, especially popular "Integral Spirituality," so the discussion should be pretty interesting.  Lisa and I will represent a (meta-)Integral approach, and there may be others on the panel who will represent other 'positions' on the wheel of perspectives...

Thanks Balder, that helps. And is the sub-title of this website ('Participatory Spirituality for the 21st Century') intended as signifying alignment with the CIIS view?

Only partially.  I do think the Integral tetra-enactive model is well-described as a participatory view, metaphysically, so in that sense I think there is reason for greater alignment between the official "Integral" and "Participatory" camps (which are often at odds), but there are also important differences in their orientations and commitments ... a number of which will get highlighted and explored at the workshop.

Anyone driving up from SoCal who may want to share cost + driving?

Thinking on it further, I just can't justify the cost. Remembering the last ITC there were only a handful of papers/presentations in which I was interested. Looking over this ITC it's about the same. I really don't want to pay for it all when I don't want it all, so I'll skip this one again and just read those few papers and discuss them here.

I may however drive up that way during the conference to have lunch and/or dinner and hang out in the evenings with some of my pals in the area like Balder and the Santa Rosa crowd. And meet some of you IPS folks who are planning to be there. I'll likely get what I need about the ITC from those friendly evening discussions.

Hi t - I am feeling analogously. I'd like to hang out in the brief times available with you and others, but to drive up is 800 miles round-trip. And my gas mileage is not great :)

To justify going to the conference I need to get continuing education units which means I miss some of the presentations that I'd rather see, with more interest.

And for you, your knowledge-and-understanding-base is so substantial already, yeah, what would be especially compelling.

And then there are the plenty of unspoken priorities that $$ and debt would be better reserved for - looks like a pass here too - darn.

Another option is to sign up as a volunteer and get a significant discount on registration; but then you'd have to put in 16 hours of work, so you might miss some of the presentations you're interested in. Here's the blurb about volunteering:

Dear Friend,

ITC now has a solid core of volunteers who are excited about participating in this year’s event, and we are looking for additional volunteers to join the team at Sonoma State University, July 16-19, 2015.

If you are diligent, detail-oriented, and work well with others, then you may be a good candidate. Volunteers must commit to working 16 hours during the conference. Volunteers will help with tasks such as greeting and directing participants, conference registration, book sales, room set-up and monitoring, and technical assistance during presentations. We are especially looking for volunteers who are computer and audio/visual media savvy, so if you fit that category please consider applying.

In exchange for working 16 hours during the conference, volunteers will attend for half the regular registration price, which includes full conference access, evening cultural performances, the art exhibition, lodging, meals, parking, wifi, access to the recreation center, and more. The new all-inclusive registration creates a whole new level of integrated experience at ITC while saving you money! 

As always we commit to doing our best to scheduling your volunteer hours so that you can attend the presentations you are most interested in, though this cannot be guaranteed.

If you are coming from outside of the San Francisco Bay Area, you may still volunteer. As long as you can attend the mandatory volunteer orientation on Wednesday the 15th and will be staying the duration of the conference - Thursday the 16th through Sunday the 19th - then you are eligible to volunteer.  The mandatory orientation will take place from 1pm – 5 pm on the 15th and will be followed by a volunteer team dinner held in the dining hall from 6 pm -7pm.

If you fit these criteria, are willing to work hard, and want to be a part of the largest Integral academic event in the world, then please apply! You can do so by emailing the team at volunteers@metaintegralfoundation.org. The deadline for application is Thursday, April 16, 2015.

Your Volunteer Coordinators,

Valerie Beltran
Volunteer Team Lead

Jared Anderson
Volunteer Team Lead

Lisa Celentano
Conference Co-Producer

I'm disappointed to hear both of you might not make it, but I totally understand the financial constraints.  My own registration fees are reduced because I am a presenter (which is a good way, next time, to attend more affordably).  David's suggestion about volunteering is a good one, too.  That's how I've done most meditation retreats (which are also often pricey).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service