What? There's only one discussion going on in the Pub?

That's definitely not enough. Barman! Another drink for me and the boys!

In the meantime I'll choose a song from the Jukebox:

www.youtube.video

Views: 8043

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like Yuna. Her voice capabilities remind me of the Bene Gesserit. Unfortunately the melody of this song doesn't provide opportunity for her to show her range. She does play with it with some nice modulations but the song limits what she can do.

Protection is from Lucinda Williams new 2-CD set, Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone. I love that title and I love this kind of sound. I'm looking forward to hearing the other 19 songs in the set.

Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett have been teaming up for a number of songs, including this old classic:

Never say never.

She reminds me of Tori Amos.

Wow.  That's some chops!

Just came across this quote while reading Zach Stein's paper, On the Use of the Term Integral and it seems appropriate to share in relation to this (not that I didn't enjoy it) video: 

As soil is to an agricultural society, consciousness is to ours. Some groups seek to mine it like coal, and they tend to create the smog in the noosphere that now surrounds the planet Earth with bad movies and worse TV. Other groups seek to parasitize it and feed off the sex and violence as Homeric gods hovering over the odors of burnt sacrifice. And a few techno-mystic souls imagine that some quantum shift is at hand…as we evolve out of biology and into technology. We probably won’t have to wait long to find out. The new electronic media have sped things up and made the old normalcy of objective reality nonviable. They have pushed us into an “up or out” scenario in which we either shift upward to a new culture of higher spirituality, turning our electronic technologies into new cathedrals of light, or slide downward into darkness and an abyss of cultural entropy, fighting it out in a final war of all against all. As H.G. Well warned during the beginning of this period of Planetization: “The future is a race between catastrophe and education.”
—Thompson, W.I., Transforming history: a new curriculum for a planetary culture (2009 p. 29-30)

theurj said:

Never say never.

DM - I especially like this phrase "transcendental illusions."

"Psychology has been massively influential in changing broad cultural patterns of meaning-making at least since Freud. Before that, philosophy was the queen of the sciences and explicitly offered “comprehensive doctrines” (Rawls, 1996); totalizing belief systems that answer questions about humanity’s place in nature, the individual’s place in society, and the meaning of life. On the whole, theorizing aimed at affecting the self- understanding of the species is a perennial pursuit, even if it is, as Kant thought, one particularly susceptible to transcendental illusions."

A funny segment from last night's Real Time. As is often the case, there is some projection and perverse wish fulfillment behind comments like Giuliani's.

I posted this a few years ago but some of you were likely not then around the forum. Here's a link to the region and its dialect from whence I came. The following short video gives a humorous introduction to said dialect, haynabonics.

Wow. What a ride. Excellent weirdness. Evocativacious! A mind of an era. Holy Moly. Not quite speechless. Hah.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service