Views: 4448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While this is all true, and I agree we need to wean off oil for alternative fuels, the argument is not pertinent to my point. With this argument we could say the true cost of a gallon of milk is really $12 given all the external environmental and infrastructure costs. What, with all that methane being produced by farting cows and the "true" costs of climate change, etc. My point is that given the price of oil without external costs it is inflated by a large percentage due to speculation that must be curtailed. And we must wean off oil altogether for green energy with far less external costs.

andrew said:

Here's an interview with Sloterdijk about the "Sloterdijk Affair."

While I have yet to read the interview except for the introductory paragraph, it acknowledges that Habermas' interpretation is that Sloterdijk is as a neocon, like what we're seeing above. Interesting, as the article also notes the same charge was laid on Derrida by Habermas, which strikes me as ridiculous in the extreme. Although I cannot comment on Slot as a whole because I'm not familiar with him, I am with the Habermas-Derrida non-dialogue with similar claims that are to my mind absurd. And btw I'm fond of much in Habermas, but not this tack.

I hear you Edward! 

Here is a link on speculation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculation

Speculation in and of itself can be healthy and constructive if managed properly. The problem is always with those who will find an avenue of abuse. Oil speculation, as with CDS speculation seems to be quite problematic.........

My pic posting on Sloterdijk was somewhat facetious. Having said that, i would need much more information on Sloterdijk's political/economic views before i made a definitive judgment on him.....

Good idea, Andrew, instead of just promoting someone else's slander.

Oh, come on Bruce! Intellectual mudslinging is nothing new. Check out the mudslinging that went on between Harris and Hedges. And for the record, i read Harris' book where he talked about strategic nuclear war and didn't get at all that he was advocating for it, so i don't know where Hedges is coming from there, especially with that kind of obvious disingenuousness. To me, it smacks of some kind of hidden agenda on Hedges' part. If one were to listen to Hedges' comment on Hitchens' post-mortem, you will hear him totally admire Hitchens' intellect, yet speculate that Hitchens always had some kind of amoral core at the locus of his being. The same could be true for Sloterdijk-- i don't know-- he could be a genius when it comes to abstract philosophy; yet have a severe blind spot in his politico/economic line of thought...Again, i don't know, but just sayin.......

No, it's nothing new.  I'm just sayin', why follow the lead of someone like Hedges?  It may be the case that Sloterdijk has such a blind spot and is a mouthpiece for the oligarchs and neocons, but I rather think the situation is likely more complex than that, which is why I'm taking the time to get to know his perspective rather than just piling on the bandwagon of some third party's character assassination attempt.

This is disturbing.  What is our current admin up to?

The Age of Obama: What Went Wrong (and How to Fix It)

Saturday, 31 March 2012 09:44By Van Jones, Yes! Magazine | Op-Ed

Barack Obama(Photo: Pete Souza / White House)This article is adapted from Rebuild the Dream, Van Jones' new book.

The 2008 campaign was a campfire around which millions gathered. But after the election, it was nobody’s job or role to tend that campfire. The White House was focused on the minutiae of passing legislation, not on the magic of leading a movement. Obama For America did the best that it could, but the mass gatherings, the idealism, the expanded notions of American identity, the growing sense of a new national community, all of that disappeared.

It goes without saying that clear thinking and imaginative problem solving are easier in hindsight, away from the battlefield. I was in the White House for six months of 2009, and I was outside of it afterward. I had some of the above insights at the time, but many did not come to me in the middle of the drama and action. Most are the product of deeper reflection, which I was able to do only from a distance.

Nonetheless, the exercise of trying to sort out what might have been and trying to understand why nobody was able to make those things happen in real time has informed this book and shaped my arguments going forward.

I say Obama relied on the people too little, and we tried to rely on him too much.

Let me speak personally: looking back, I do not think those of us who believed in the agenda of change had to get beaten as badly as we were, after Obama was sworn in. We did not have to leave millions of once-inspired people feeling lost, deceived, and abandoned. We did not have to let our movement die down to the level that it did.

The simple truth is this: we overestimated our achievement in 2008, and we underestimated our opponents in 2009.

We did not lose because the backlashers got so loud. We lost because the rest of us got so quiet. Too many of us treated Obama’s inauguration as some kind of finish line, when we should have seen it as just the starting line. Too many of us sat down at the very moment when we should have stood up.

Among those who stayed active, too many of us (myself included) were in the suites when we should have been in the streets. Many “repositioned” our grassroots organizations to be “at the table” in order to “work with the administration.” Some of us (like me) took roles in the government. For a while at least, many were so enthralled with the idea of being a part of history that we forgot the courage, sacrifices, and risks that are sometimes required to make history.

That is hard, scary, and thankless work. It requires a willingness to walk with a White House when possible—and to walk boldly ahead of that same White House, when necessary. A few leaders were willing to play that role from the very beginning, but many more were not. Too many activists reverted to acting like either die-hard or disappointed fans of the president, not fighters for the people.

The conventional wisdom is that Obama went too far to the left to accommodate his liberal base. In my view, the liberal base went too far to the center to accommodate Obama. The conventional wisdom says that Obama relied on Congress too much. I say Obama relied on the people too little, and we tried to rely on him too much. Once it became obvious that he was committed to bipartisanship at all costs, even if it meant chasing an opposition party that was moving further to the right every day, progressives needed to reassess our strategies, defend our own interests, and go our own way. It took us way too long to internalize this lesson— and act upon it.

The independent movement for hope and change, which had been growing since 2003, was a goose that was laying golden eggs. But the bird could not be bossed. Caging it killed it. It died around conference tables in Washington, DC, long before the Tea Party got big enough to kick its carcass down the street.

The administration was naïve and hubristic enough to try to absorb and even direct the popular movement that had helped to elect the president. That was part of the problem. But the main problem was that the movement itself was naïve and enamored enough that it wanted to be absorbed and directed. Instead of marching on Washington, many of us longed to get marching orders from Washington. We so much wanted to be a part of something beautiful that we forgot how ugly and difficult political change can be. Somewhere along the line, a bottom-up, largely decentralized phenomenon found itself trying to function as a subcomponent of a national party apparatus. Despite the best intentions of practically everyone involved, the whole process wound up sucking the soul out of the movement.

As a result, when the backlash came, the hope-and-changers had no independent ground on which to stand and fight back. Grassroots activists had little independent ability to challenge the White House when it was wrong and, therefore, a dwindling capacity to defend it when it was right.

We need a president who is willing to be pushed into doing the right thing, and we need independent leaders and movements that are willing to do the pushing.

The Obama administration had the wrong theory of the movement, and the movement had the wrong theory of the presidency. In America, change comes when we have two kinds of leaders, not just one. We need a president who is willing to be pushed into doing the right thing, and we need independent leaders and movements that are willing to do the pushing. For a few years, Obama’s supporters expected the president to act like a movement leader, rather than a head of state.

The confusion was understandable: As a candidate, Obama performed many of the functions of a movement leader. He gave inspiring speeches, held massive rallies, and stirred our hearts. But when he became president, he could no longer play that role.

The expectation that he would or could arose from a fundamental misreading of U.S. history. After all, as head of state, President Lyndon Johnson did not lead the civil rights movement. That was the job of independent movement leaders, such as Martin Luther King Jr., Ella Baker, Bayard Rustin, and Fannie Lou Hamer. There were moments of conflict and cooperation between Johnson and leaders in the freedom struggle, but the alchemy of political power and people power is what resulted in the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

As head of state, Franklin Delano Roosevelt did not lead the labor movement. That was the job of independent union leaders. Again, the alchemy of political power and people power resulted in the New Deal. As head of state, Woodrow Wilson did not lead the fight to enfranchise women. That was the role of independent movement leaders, such as suffragettes Susan B. Anthony and Ida B. Wells. The alchemy of political power and people power resulted in women’s right to vote. As head of state, Abraham Lincoln did not lead the abolitionists. That was the job of independent movement leaders Frederick Douglass, John Brown, and Harriet Tubman. The alchemy of political power and people power resulted in the emancipation of enslaved Africans. As head of state, Richard Nixon did not lead the environmental movement. That was the job of various environmental organizations, such as the Sierra Club, and other leaders, like those whom writer Rachel Carson inspired. Once again it was the alchemy of political power and people power that resulted in the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Environmental Protection Agency

The biggest reason for our frustrations and failures is that we have not yet understood that both of these are necessary—and they are distinct. We already have our head of state who arguably is willing to be pushed. We do not yet have a strong enough independent movement to do the pushing. The bulk of this book makes the case for how and why we should build one.

This piece was reprinted by Truthout with permission or license.

VAN JONES

Van Jones is the Co-Founder and President of Rebuild the Dream. Van is also a Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress, and American Progress Action Fund. He is focusing on “green-collar jobs” and how cities are implementing job-creating climate solutions. Van Jones is a globally recognized, award-winning pioneer in human rights and the clean energy economy. He is a co-founder of three successful nonprofit organizations: the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Color of Change, and Green For All. He is also the best-selling author of the definitive book on green jobs, The Green Collar Economy. Jones served as the green jobs advisor in the Obama White House in 2009 and is currently a senior policy advisor at Green For All. He also holds a joint appointment at Princeton University as a distinguished visiting fellow in both the Center for African American Studies and in the Program in Science, Technology and Environmental Policy at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. 

Add New Comment

Showing 25 of 176 comments

• Phytopagan

Gosh, Van, just how stupid can you be? Where were you when millions of us saw through the Obama campaign for what it really was: an empty appeal for the purpose of placating Obama's corporate sponsors! Now you're bleating about lost opportunity? Give me a f-ing break! You're really going to tell us how to build a new dream while the jackboots of Obama's thugs and the American Republican Fascists are firmly crushing our necks? This I gotta see!

Obama has followed through on a campaign of empty, manipulative promises that can arguably be placed alongside the rise of Hitler in the 1930's -- the insane posturing of the Republican fascists notwithstanding, and to which Obama has been a willing capitulator: war, repression, aggression against sovereign nations -- subversion in others, abandonment of the social and financial needs of almost all Americans, environmental destruction for the benefit of corporations, refusal to address critical environmental issues like climate change, practice of terrorism, suspension of the rights of the accused. One can only assume that Obama chose constitutional law as his field of "expertise" in order to know how to supplant the law with executive fiat!

On every issue, at every opportunity, Obama has ignored the voices and needs of those who supported him, and instead provided even greater power to the people's oppressors. As I write, police departments are buying and employing new weapons to be used against those who practice the rights to speak and dissent, with the fascist tactics underwritten by new laws created by Obama and the facile, craven Congress, and rubber-stamped by the traitorous Supreme Court. The rights to education, housing, and health care have been systematically dismantled while Obama has been in office, yet he has not once spoken or acted on behalf of the great benefits to democracy that these rights foster -- his participation in the erosion of civil liberties, his silence

So just how would you propose that the likes of the people who've led social movements in the past would now go about their business? By being arrested for practicing our rights? By reducing our lives to perpetual enslavement as a means to stay alive, as well as to keep us down and quiet? By continuing to barter and reason with someone who's already demonstrated an historic depth of betrayal to democracy and America?

We don't need a social movement, we need complete and utter destruction of the corporate-military state and all those who have made clear their disdain for people and their opposition to democracy and liberty -- they are all terrorist, they are all traitors, and they are all enemies of the people of this country and the world.

• Jody H

You have stated well what so many of us who voted for Obama currently think. He has not only betrayed those who voted for him, but also betrayed the letter and spirit of our Bill of Rights. He must take responsibility for the actions (and inactions) of his administration, his executive orders, and his unwillingness to fight in the public arena for those principles and values he SAID he believed in.

Clinton constantly compromised away so much of the progress we made in the 60' and 70's. Obama has not only compromised (when the majority WAS pushing him not to), but has actually actively participated in the further destruction of our civil liberties, violated international law, and moved us further towards a fascist police state than Bush ever did. His administration is currently building and implementing the Total Information Awareness apparatus at this time. He and Congress are both responsible for the NDAA becoming law, a clear violation of our Constitution and international law.

I initially thought he was a naive wimp, who did not know how to negotiate. With his actions in the last year betraying our Constitution and the rule of law, he has shown his true allegiances.

How dare Van Jones blame the progressive movement for the deliberate decisions made by Obama that violate HIS oath of office. I, nor anyone else, need to remind a so-called Constitutional scholar what the law (both federal and international) and the Constitution require. He has betrayed and violated both.

The President is often referred to as the "leader of the free world". Now Van Jones wants to minimize his power and responsibility and claims he really isn't a leader. That is BS. 
    He has shown he does have power, only he uses it against the working class of this country and the world, in support of the 1% of the world.

His actions speak louder than his words, and his actions are criminal.

• OlenskaCollapse

National petition to pass the Due Process Guarantee Act and repeal the NDAA provisions.
    We need one million signatures to sway members of Congress.. It is an election year, so this might do it. Here is the petition. Please circulate it. Many thanks
    http://signon.org/sign/pass-th...

On Dec.31st 2011 Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law. Clauses in that bill legalize the indefinite imprisonment of any American citizen without charges, evidence, trial or legal representation - all of which violates the 1st, 5th and 6th amendments to the constitution - on the accusation, not proof, that the person has committed a "belligerent act" or "supported" a force hostile to the US. These terms were chosen for their vagueness, have no legal meaning, and can be used to justify the arrest and imprisonment of any person for anything. All members of Congress who voted "yea" to this bill violated their oaths of office to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States". All but 10 senators voted "yea" while the House was split. Some members of Congress are moving to reverse the damage with the Due Process Guarantee Act, a bill that would restore the rights of Habeas corpus, trial by jury and legal counsel guaranteed in the Bill of Rights to all American citizens and legal residents. The bill is stuck in committee in both Houses and as of this writing does not have enough votes to pass. Find your representatives and how they voted here: http://www.opednews.com/populu... . Congress also passed the "Trespass Act", a bill that would have made ML King's March on Washington an illegal act. In addition, Senator Lieberman is sponsoring the "Enemy Expatriation Act" a bill that would remove all citizenship rights of any person accused (not proven) of having committed a "belligerent act".

Please sign this petition. Our goal is one million signatures. Our signatures will be delivered to every member of Congress.

"We, the undersigned, request immediate passage of the Due Process Guarantee Act and pledge not to vote for any Member of Congress who does not support the repeal of the unconstitutional provisions of the NDAA ."

Will you sign this petition? Click here:

http://signon.org/sign/pass-th... --

I love that the commentators said fuck-you to the nuance and distinction bull-shit and called it like it truly is.

I imagine that Kenny would say that the comments are just more MGM and that America isn't like, say, Syria. But imo., Kenny has always had a penchant for underestimating the adversary.

Here's the deal: under the dogma of the Capitalist system-- especially Neoliberalism-- it's immoral for these corporations NOT to destroy the earth and the life that lives upon it. Spoken in another way: it's immoral not to pursue profit in every available manner. This is the fact of that ideology....

This is encouraging:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/04/20124395428374962....

Debt currency is arguably the core pathology of big 'C' capitalism. To my thinking, this is a way to tweak and reconstruct a system that is trespassing the thresholds of the planetary systems. It's interesting that concomitant with the rise of toxic fuel--petroleum-- came the rise of toxic money....

I'd also like to point out that the big 'C' capitalists are inherently religious as most of their beliefs about money are metaphysical and irrational. It seems they have even come up with the new messiah: The Corporation.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service