It is with much ado that I change the name of my blog to “integral postmetaphysical enaction” but will keep the same address. The term nonduality is too limited and too attached to certain metaphysical schools of philosophy and religion. Yes, I can recontextualize the term, make it mean whatever I want, but the weight of its historical association is more than my miniscule influence can overcome. On the other hand the term enaction is within the historical context of recent developments in cognitive science yet applicable to all methodologies across the spectrum. Plus it specifically denotes the kind of nonduality in which I'm interested through continuity, both within an individual and between an individual with others and the environment. In AQALese, the integrated and inseparable relations between the one and the many, the inside and the outside. And all within a postmetaphysical, developmental trajectory that dynamically enacts a worldspace, not discovers a universal, given world. It also demonstrates the relation of action and theory, for it is my hope to inspire action in those who read these theoretical ramblings.

By the way, I did an internet search on those terms in  parentheses and again it is currently the only link on the web, another first.

Here is a good working definition of enaction from Enaction School 2010:

“The term enactive is used to identify a way of thinking about, and a set of methodologies for conducting, cognitive science. This approach to describing, explaining and investigating the mind emphasises the valued, meaningful interaction between a living agent and its environment. It emphasises the continuity between the basic processes of living (e.g. metabolism) and cognition. It recognises the autonomy of living systems and the way in which meaning, thought and experience emerge within the dynamic, skilful activity of the agent - the enaction of meaning, thought and experience.

“Standing in contrast to much of mainstream thinking within Cognitive Science, the enactive approach challenges many of the basic assumptions of extant theory. The body (including but not limited to the brain) is considered to have an integral role in the processes of the mind. Cognitive processes are seen as the means by which an agent adapts their behavior so as to maintain their values (in the simplest case, biological values such as continued existence but in more complex cases, social and cultural values come into play). The nature of such processes is considered to be dynamic and adaptive, rather than a set of structures that are universal and modular in character.”

Views: 2815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dealageddon (Daily Show).
Yes, the Tea Party "won" and yet many of them voted against the deal because it wasn't draconian enough! That's why I said "fuck compromise" because you cannot compromise with economic and social terrorists and gain anything; you can only continue to lose more and more. It is not in the least "integral" to think we can find a common ground with these fanatics, somehow work it all out and give every party to the "debate" an equal voice. If anything that is what the fricken kennilingusts are always accusing the MGM of doing. It seems in fact that agreeing to compromise with them only shows them you are wishy-washy, not committed to your own principles as they are, and this perceived weakness will be used repeatedly against you. Fortunately some of the truly progressive political voices are saying fuck these jokers, stand up for progressive principles, grow some testicular fortitude, and do not compromise with the terrorists: Defeat them! Soundly, roundly and completely.
Let's learn from the Tea Party victory.
I turned the last couple of posts in the eco-transtions thread into a blog post here.

Yes, I watch Real Time "religulously" every week and saw that. It is in part where I'm getting my notion of having principled progressive representatives to counter the Tea Party. He denigrates them as crazy and humorously suggests we elect Democrates equally as crazy to combat them. As Maher is always complaining about spineless Democrats I think the hyperbole is intended to elect a strong liberal faction that sticks to their principles,* like the Tea Party which doesn't back down and compromise. He appreciates their steadfastness but detests their policy and only wishes liberals would have more of the former.

*By the way, there are a few of these, Bernie Sanders being one. Anthony Weiner was another but was forced to resign over a sexting scandal while never even having had "real" sex with anyone. Alan Grayson was another but conservatives spent an enormous amount of money to get his opponent elected. They know these guys are the ones who can defeat them and are smart enough to target them for elimination.

Michael Moore says it best on the day the middle class died.
Any thoughts on the Super Congress, Ed?

I don't think they've yet chosen the members of the committee but it will be 50-50 Dems and Repubs. Given that and the current climate, and of course recent experience, it seems unlikely they'll agree on much, if anything.

And as your referenced article notes, the whole idea calls into question its constitutionality because the people have no direct representation and the President cannot veto it. Much like we saw in Michigan this whole manufactured debt "crisis" is leading to a suspension of democracy. Naomi Klein is indeed prophetic.

This article provides key insight into the market decline. Therein the author highlights the ongoing battle between two powerful factions in the Republican Party, corporate business and the Tea Party. Major corporate mouthpieces like the US Chamber of Commerce wanted the debt ceiling raised without linking it to tax reform or budget cuts, issues they obviously care about but felt this was the wrong venue and the wrong time. 450 CEOs signed a letter petitioning the President and the Congress to just raise the ceiling without the side show. Some in this group even support government spending on infrastructure. Whereas the Tea Party “manufactured a crisis” by linking the two to gain political points and pushed the economy to the brink while gutting things like infrastructure spending as mere pork. We see which side won the argument but also why businesses lost confidence in the markets, given the extreme wing of their own party which was willing to sabotage the economy over ideology.
The option not bargained in the debt deal is the only eventual solution....trade cuts to domestic spending for tax increases.

You say the Dems can convince the Reps to agree to this because if they don't the automatic cuts to further spending, including military spending, will kick in. Yet tax increases, or even closing tax loopholes and ridiculous subsidies, was forbidden on the conservative side from the beginning and why we got the shitty deal we did. You really think 1) the Dems will grow balls that fast and 2) the Repubs will shrink theirs? There has been no evidence of either to date.

The system will continue in its main mode of wealth creation until forced to change by threat of survival arising from within itself.

But there is no such threat. One might think the '08 crisis would have accomplished this but the financial system knew it would be bailed out, in fact counted on it because they had placed in the Treasury one of the chief architects of the mortgage-backed junk bonds (er..securities).* The only way to get such an inside survival option if for an outside force, i.e. one not bought and paid for, like the government to break up the big banks so that when they fail they just plain fail without taking the whole economy down with it. But again, the system is so corrupt that this will not likely happen in any foreseeable future, given even Obama, the great liberal hope (gag), is part and parcel of it. Unless...

Watch for tipping points along the way to that threshold.

We saw one last night in Wisconsin, where 2 of the 6 Republican State Senators were replaced in the recall election. Yes, the Repubs still control the Senate by one vote but the recall of 2 of them in heavily conservative and specifically gerrymandered districts is one of those signals the people have had enough and are motivated and willing to do something about it. The recall of Governor Walker is next and if this works you'll see other States follow suit in rapid succession. This change will come from without, meaning the people, not within the system.

* Check out AIG's lawsuit against BoA and threats to do likewise to Goldman. And as already noted, those junk bonds were rated AAA by S&P.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service