Meta-Integral has just sent out the call for papers for the upcoming 2015 Integral Theory Conference.  The theme for the conference is Integral Impacts: Using Integrative Metatheories to Catalyze Effective Change.

See here for details.

Views: 2929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ambo,

Your continued use of the surfing theme is apt, and makes very clear the Complexity Pattern that is important here. It helps us understand why simple predictions based upon only a couple of variables rarely come to pass exactly as expected. Because this is the year 2015, I do mention in my paper a couple of scenarios (1972 Limits to Growth report and 1998 Peak Oil paper) where the year 2015 was named as a time when things might start to go south. I mention them because I thought it was interesting to take note of since this is indeed 2015, and as a general warning that we're likely late in the game with preparation. But I think those dates were put out there as round numbers and general time frames, not as specific predictions.  Everyone who makes specific predictions ends up pretty much getting it wrong - there are just too many variables. Scenario planning, however, based on likely trajectories, can be very useful.  

I think there was another point I was going to make here, but I've lost my train of thought for tonight.

This surfing theme does remind me of this animation:

Hi David - I'm going to enjoy that animation later this morning, after surfing for which I will have to hurry to catch first light as we near summer solstice.

Here I post a photo of a book I dip into now and again about waves - quite good and easy reading - and I post the link to one review.

http://geekdad.com/2010/07/review-the-wave-watchers-companion/

Thanks, for you ongoing interest.

Regarding your recent photo of your window scene and back yard/garden/orchard scene, lovely. That blue as it approaches the cobalt zone is perhaps my favorite deep-felt color.

DavidM58 said:

Ambo,

Your continued use of the surfing theme is apt, and makes very clear the Complexity Pattern that is important here. It helps us understand why simple predictions based upon only a couple of variables rarely come to pass exactly as expected. Because this is the year 2015, I do mention in my paper a couple of scenarios (1972 Limits to Growth report and 1998 Peak Oil paper) where the year 2015 was named as a time when things might start to go south. I mention them because I thought it was interesting to take note of since this is indeed 2015, and as a general warning that we're likely late in the game with preparation. But I think those dates were put out there as round numbers and general time frames, not as specific predictions.  Everyone who makes specific predictions ends up pretty much getting it wrong - there are just too many variables. Scenario planning, however, based on likely trajectories, can be very useful.  

I think there was another point I was going to make here, but I've lost my train of thought for tonight.

Looks like a great book on the Pulse and Expansion/Contraction Patterns.

Hi, David, I enjoyed your paper - and may want to include it as a supplemental reading for students in the Living Systems class I teach in the summer, if you're open to that.  I usually only briefly introduce Pattern Dynamics in one of the class lectures, and point students to resources if they'd like more information, but I think your paper provides a nice illustration of a productive use of the patterns in systems thinking and analysis.  One of the themes of the class also is confronting the many systemic issues of our time, so it is very relevant in that regard as well.  

I find a special affinity in your paper, with your exploration and unpacking of several key patterns and my exploration in my paper of certain prepositional relations.  A future project might be figuring out ways to productively interface the PD and the integral grammatological (or iGPS) systems -- and your paper has given me some insights into how that might show up, so thanks for that.

Best of luck with your presentation!

B.

Thanks Bruce! 

For sure, include my paper as a supplement for your class if you like; I would be honored. 

And yes, I think there is an affinity with the prepositional relations you wrote about. Your future project idea sounds very promising! 

This is a well crafted heuristic presentation. I see what you are recognizing - it renders surfing as an inspiring metaphor. I'm guessing that seeing this could be plenty helpful in finding courage for facing fears and daunting situations and circumstances.

Being who I am, I find the inspirational reduction of my favorite activity and especially my highly complex individual interior to such a motivating message a little hard to take seriously. And, along with a circumspect appreciation for this endeavor to try to find ways to stay engaged and proactive, I have still more reactions, but I'll leave it at that.

I'm aware that you weren't selling it.

Hah. I want to sort of apologetically say, "That's just me." :)

DavidM58 said:

Ambo,

I found a typo in my paper that I uploaded on June 10th - had the wrong year right up at the top of the page, putting us 3 years into the future. So here's a corrected v. 1.2

OK, without further adieu, here's my paper. I've made a couple of small edits since the official submission, hence v. 1.2. There's at least one parallel with Bruce's paper, in which I briefly (but importantly) discuss the concept of polarity, referencing Morin's dialogic Method

The paper is narrower in scope than originally intended, in terms of the range of Patterns discussed. I have another half or 3/4 written paper that for some period I was thinking would be the one I would submit, in which I spend much more time on the various polarity patterns; then there would potentially be one or two additional papers focusing on Patterns that would be useful in discussing more detailed response options to energy descent (adaptation, creativity, complexity, etc.).

At some point I would also like to really delve into the use of subtle energies to offset the declining gross energies (note that I say "offset" and not "substitute"). 

Attachments:

Working on a "cover image" for my presentation

B, I like it - bubbles, holons, and acentric arcings; light, lightness, and dark; intricate and obvious; intimations of magical beauty - some serious visual fun.

Balder said:

Working on a "cover image" for my presentation

Here's a simple practical question about the conference. In the conference proper, not pre-conference, should a registrant have already selected specific seminars they will attend? I haven't seen where to do that and/or haven't bothered. (It seems like in the past one did pre-select, though I may be confusing that with other than integral conferences.)

Hi, Ambo, I'm glad you like the image -- and that it spoke to you in the way that it did!  Very much what I was hoping it would invoke.

About the conference, no, you do not need to select any of the seminars, except for your own records.  Pretty much you just show up at whatever one you want to attend (and you can switch in the middle if it's a real yawner. :-)  )

Bruce, that's beautiful! You set a high standard. Did you create the artwork or find it somewhere?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service