At FB IPS Balder posted on this book. Therein Richard Kearney discusses the return of God after atheism, anatheism, with various philosophers. John Caputo has always been one of my favorites and is featured in chapter 9. Some of that chapter is available to review here. On 196-98 Caputo and Kearney discuss Hegel. Caputo is concerned that like Ricoeur, Kearney might think anatheism is a higher synthesis derived from atheism and theism. Caputo of course questions this sort of reconciliation and it turns out Kearney seems to also, since he wrote in the book of ana-atheism.

All of which reminds me of the syntegralists in this piece, who are more in alignment with Caputo than Wilber's Hegelian synthetic orientation. E.g., "Therefore syn-integral bridging does not follow the ideas of a metaphysical harmony, nor an underlying unity-oriented ideal(ism)" (128). See this IPS thread for some discussion.

Ana-atheism, a triple negative (an=after, a=not, a=not), reminds me of this Ning IPS post, and the one after it. The latter post is from the chorus of my song on the Three Veils of Negative Existence:

That's right, that's right, nothing
And not just nothing, but no nothing
And not no nothing neither.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there any reference to Stuart Kaufman's book, "Reinventing the Sacred"?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service