Contemplative Neuroscience

Richie DavidsonWednesday, June 30, 2010
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EDT
Free for ACMHE members; $5 for non-members

With Richard J. Davidson, PhD
Vilas Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Click Here to Register

Dr. Davidson is a William James and Vilas Research Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He received his PhD from Harvard University in Psychology and has been at Wisconsin since 1984.

He has published more than 250 articles, chapters and reviews, and has edited 13 books. He is the recipient of numerous awards for his research, including the most distinguished award for science given by the American Psychological Association - the Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award.

In 2003, Dr. Davidson was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and to the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters in 2004. Time Magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2006, the year he was also awarded the first Mani Bhaumik Award by UCLA for advancing the understanding of the brain and conscious mind in healing. Madison Magazine named him Person of the Year in 2007. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Mind and Life Institute.

About Webinar Registration
Submit the GoTowebinar.com registration form. After submitting the form, you will be forwarded to a payment page. If you are a member of the ACMHE, disregard this step (webinars are free for members); if you are not a member, you must submit the $5 payment for your registration to be approved. After your registration has been approved, you will be sent instructions for connecting to the webinar.

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds interesting, but unfortunately this doesn't give us any details about the content of the webinar. I can guess the general idea from the title but no hint to his "worldview" interpretation.

Also if anyone is interested see our prior Gaia discussion on "meditation and neuroscience."
I'm not familiar with Davidson (I just got this in my email), but I did just find this book by him.

Oh... and this as well:

January 03, 2010
Talk by Richard Davidson: Transform Your Mind, Change Your Brain
Click to watch this talk given by Richard Davidson at Google. From YouTube:

In this talk, Richard J. Davidson will explore recent scientific research on the neuroscience of positive human qualities and how they can be cultivated through contemplative practice. Distinctions among different forms of contemplative practices will be introduced and they will be shown to have different neural and behavioral consequences, as well as important consequences for physical health in both long-term and novice practitioners. New research also shows that meditation-based interventions delivered online can produce behavioral and neural changes. Collectively, this body of research indicates that we can cultivate adaptive neural changes and strengthen positive human qualities through systematic mental practice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service