This morning, doing research on another topic, I came across the following interesting-looking essay -- a critique of the conveyor belt metaphor in Wilber's and others' work, using L&J's work among others.

Misuse of the Potential of the Conveyor Metaphor, by Anthony Judge

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doctors sometimes proscribe "fake boat" exercises for people with weak bones and joints. One stands on a board atop a rolling pin, etc. so that instability is generated. It turns out that the muscular efforts to correct for constant tipping send signals to the bones telling them to become more sturdy.

What is interesting here, and in your (very sensible-sounding, to my yogic ear) new exercise is that there is a voluntary and intentional-rational accommodation of a dissonant state. The difficulty facing MOM economy (capitalism, etc.) is how to bring it into the right relationship to its existing dissonance. Instability can easily lead to destruction or perpetuation of a system-pattern. Something very specific has to happen in order to begin catalyzing unstable conditions beyond the real of "band-aids".

Thanks for the rolling pin exercise. I'm going to try it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

What paths lie ahead for religion and spirituality in the 21st Century? How might the insights of modernity and post-modernity impact and inform humanity's ancient wisdom traditions? How are we to enact, together, new spiritual visions – independently, or within our respective traditions – that can respond adequately to the challenges of our times?

This group is for anyone interested in exploring these questions and tracing out the horizons of an integral post-metaphysical spirituality.

Notice to Visitors

At the moment, this site is at full membership capacity and we are not admitting new members.  We are still getting new membership applications, however, so I am considering upgrading to the next level, which will allow for more members to join.  In the meantime, all discussions are open for viewing and we hope you will read and enjoy the content here.

© 2024   Created by Balder.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service